12 Important Questions to Ask Your Wedding Venue
Successful planning is all in the details. Ask these questions to be sure you and your venue are on the same page from the start.
by:Rachel Mattison, Special Events Catering Manager at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel
Sponsored by the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel
Planning a wedding is an exciting time in one’s life, but pulling together all the details can also be overwhelming. While cake tasting, selecting a dress and touring beautiful wedding venues can be a lot of fun, it requires detailed planning. This is one of the many reasons I enjoy being a Special Events Catering Manager at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel. I'm able to collaborate with couples in order to customize weddings every day.
Choosing a date and wedding venue is an important decision that must be made early, as it becomes the foundation for your planning. To help guide you through this process, here are 12 questions for selecting the perfect venue for your wedding (They might even make your planning more exciting!):
1. What is included with the venue rental? (Tip: Be sure to ask if items such as linens, tables, and chairs are included).
2. Does the venue offer complimentary and/or private menu tastings? (Note: Your food tasting experience should be enjoyable and relaxing, not rushed).
3. Who will be our main point-of-contact at the venue? How many times will we meet with our contact during planning?
4. Are we able to secure a block of guestrooms? If overnight accommodations are not available, can you recommend nearby hotels for guests?
5. Do you have a list of preferred vendors? (Tip: Ask for recommendations for music/lights, cakes and desserts, event decor, photographers, florists, transportation and specialty services).
6. How many people from the venue will we be working with throughout the planning process? Who from the venue will be there the day of my wedding?
7. Can we decorate the room ourselves and/or bring in an outside vendor? If so, how early may we access the room? (Tip: If possible, arrange to have a friend, family member or professional take care of the decorating on the day of the wedding. You already have plenty to do).
8. Can the venue accommodate both a ceremony and reception?
9. Is the food prepared on-site?
10. Do we have to take down the decor that same day or can it be done the next day?
11. Are there any additional fees aside from the standard service/tax?
12. Can you provide a testimonial from a past client?
Most importantly, when selecting a wedding venue or vendor, look for people who are passionate about what they do. The quality of the service they provide will be unparalleled and it will make the wedding process more enjoyable too.
The Sheraton Bloomington Hotel is able to accommodate up to 325 guests with the ability to host indoor ceremonies as well. We look forward to welcoming you to our newly renovated wedding destination!